Week 5 Vanity Search Take 2

 

https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/962466-selfie-stick

Conducting an online search of ourselves is something most of us have done. I remember searching myself back in the day using my dial-up internet. The two things that I would see of myself at the top of my search were concerning my high school swim team and Myspace. I remember my sister and I trying to compare who had more search results. 
Since my last vanity search, my online footprint has not changed much. What did change is how I search. Reading other classmates' blogs helped me develop more search keywords to attach to my name, which in effect filtered my results. 
I think as a teacher, my instinct is to be very careful about how much of myself is out there. If I were in a different profession, I probably would want my name and picture out there. For example, doctors purposely want people to know about their practice, studies, published articles, and patient reviews. Of course, only as long as everything is positive. 
When I searched this time, I found few things that I had missed in my previous vanity search. I saw images of pictures that I took and were linked directly to my Twitter account. When I searched my name and Garland ISD, I found information and photographs of district functions I have attended. And I even found a newspaper article in which my neighbors and I were interviewed regarding issues going on with our developer and homeowners' association. They did not want the bad press, so we managed to get the developer to gives us a bit of what we were promised when we purchased our homes which was great news for our neighborhood.
My son plays select soccer, and his coach recommended uploading videos on YouTube and other social media and making them available for anyone to view so that soccer scouts can monitor him and evaluate him for the near future. This shows me that every situation is different. While some want to hide under a rock others, urge to be discovered. 
My 5th-grade students are still too young and do not fully understand the responsibility and possible consequences of the internet. As their teacher, I find comfort in knowing that their lives are still private. Even when choosing technology to integrate in my class, I make sure it follows any district guidelines and that the technology tool ensures the safety and privacy of my students. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 Vanity Search

Week 4 Hyperdoc Adventure