Week 3 Boundless Universe of Communication

 

YouTube

In my opinion, YouTube is one of the best online inventions. YouTube is an easy-to-use free video-sharing online tool that has something for pretty much everything. From how-to guides, DIY, music videos, educational videos, reviews, recipes, workout videos, fashion advice, home improvement, sports, comedy, gaming, and so much more. You do have to be careful, but you can often get free expert advice that otherwise would cost you an arm and a leg. 

YouTube, you have helped me be a strong and independent woman, and I thank you for it! Even throughout some of the most challenging times of my life, you have helped me grow and not seem weak in front of others. I am a single mom of a thirteen-year-old boy. I have been divorced for almost six years and have no family in the area, which means that my dad cannot easily come over to help me install or fix things around our house or car. We live off just my salary, so I have to be very careful with my money for us to live a comfortable life. To save money, I have been my own plumber, electrician, mechanic, among other things. Life has thrown some wrenches at me, but YouTube has had my back. 

I do not think a day goes by without me looking something up on YouTube between my personal and teaching life. Just this morning, I was trying on some dresses that I got on sale without even trying them on at the store. The dresses were tagged with my size, so I assumed they would be the perfect fit. However, when I tried them on, they fitted very loose. I opened up my YouTube app and searched no-sew dress alteration hack, and the options were endless. Two dresses that I was regretting purchasing will probably become two of my favorite wardrobe pieces. 

As a teacher, I have been using YouTube since day one. When I started teaching, I taught Kindergarten bilingual, and there were not many resources available in Spanish in the online curriculum. Now, teaching 5th grade, I find amazing videos on YouTube for pretty much every topic of every subject. Sometimes the kids just need to hear or see things from a different perspective. Many teachers around the world on YouTube have made a huge difference in my students' lives and do not even know it. Before the pandemic on Google Classroom and during the pandemic on Canvas, I would post videos I thought were helpful for my students to look at for review. I'll be honest I think I have become a better teacher with time because of YouTube. I have learned so much from watching other teachers. Also, with the lack of training our district offers sometimes before making us launch a new software or online program with students, I find myself searching on YouTube how to use it. I survived my first year using Canvas because of YouTube. Some of my favorite YouTube channels are Crash Course Kids for science and Math Antics and Math with Mr. J for math. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/crashcoursekids

https://www.youtube.com/user/mathantics

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY-ywrKyfsSFF1tILNH1pNA

I currently have some playlists on my school district YouTube account. However, this week I learned that I could really go into more detail and organize my playlists so that it is easier to find specific videos. I am going to create my playlists based on subject and topic, and I had never thought about subscribing to a channel until this week's adventure. This way I am notified when the channel I follow adds new videos.

I am not one to be behind the creation of YouTube videos, but I definitely watch them daily. Sometimes I laugh, sometimes I cry, and sometimes I simply learn something new. 

Something that I like to incorporate at school when I play a video is VideoLink. This free application allows me to link a YouTube video and make sure the content stays school-appropriate and safe for my students. It also allows me to customize the video presentation and crop it only to show specific sections. I like this feature because sometimes I find amazing videos, but they go into more detail as they progress that is beyond 5th-grade level. 


Twitter

Since downloading the Twitter app on my phone, I have been spending more time on it. I think that for me, it may come in handy to stay up to date with current events or share interesting findings with my students. I do not see myself Twitting a lot other than re-twitting or using it professionally for district or school events. I am just cautious about social media. It is so easy to lose our jobs over even liking a post on social media, and sometimes it is easy to click on something accidentally. 


Web 2.0 tools are changing the way students learn by providing a more flexible learning environment for our 21st-century students, granting interaction, communication, and collaboration opportunities that are not limited to the classroom walls. The Web 2.0 tools to use in class have to be thoughtfully determined, but they are not difficult to implement and use to enhance our students' learning. Whether it is YouTube, Twitter, or one of the many other readily available Web 2.0 tools, the possibilities are endless! 

My YouTube Channel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 Vanity Search

Week 5 Vanity Search Take 2

Week 4 Hyperdoc Adventure