Week 2 Twitter

#OpenTwitter #CloseTwitter 


    I have had a Twitter account for about six years now. I got my account when someone at school told me that it was a district requirement. I found it odd that the district was making social media a requirement. As teachers, I think we are always watching our backs. You can never be too careful, so social media just seemed like a bad idea for the district to embrace. I have only used Twitter professionally, never personally. I do know that the district is always asking us to hashtag events. I have used my Twitter account very little. I find myself resetting my password every time because I never really use it.  I try to keep my personal life separate from my work life, so I have never downloaded the Twitter app to my phone.
    No one had shown me the benefits of Twitter until taking ETEC 527. I can now see that I can connect with educators from inside and outside my district. It is a great way to see what is happening in different places and share ideas. Parents who want to follow me can be aware of what is happening in the classroom and school-wide events. I think it is a great way to open up the classroom and allow parents to feel involved. Twitting doesn't take too long since it limits the number of characters one can type, and it is simple to re-Tweet. Now that I feel more comfortable about Twitter, I think I will be a more active Twitterer. However, I plan only to use it professionally and not link it to my personal social media. In the past few days since I have made my way back to Twitter, I have already gotten some great ideas for the beginning of the school year. 
    I have been connected and communicating with parents through Class Dojo, which I will continue to use. When I started my Twitter account, I shared my Twitter handle with parents, but only one or two followed me. I was more successful with Class Dojo. I had 100% of my students' parents join. However, I think that Class Dojo limits who I connect with, while Twitter connects me with a whole world of educators and librarians. 
    One issue I have come across with Twitter is that my students are all under 13 years old, which is the age Twitter requires to create an account. Unfortunately, I will not be able to use Twitter directly with my students, but I can still grow as a teacher by getting ideas from other great educators. Even though my students cannot have their own accounts, I can still share my Twitter findings with them. Now, I know I can search using a hashtag, which means I can see multiple posts and pictures related to a topic or current event. For example, next time there is an eclipse, I can search for #solareclipse2021 and show them photos taken by different people. I wish I would have done this for the #broomchallenge. It would have opened up so many discussions, and we could have gotten to the science behind it. 
    As a teacher and future librarian, I can see the great benefits behind Twitter, and even if my students cannot use it, I can still use it effectively to enhance my teaching. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 Vanity Search

Week 5 Vanity Search Take 2

Week 4 Hyperdoc Adventure